For anyone still working in a wet darkroom for black & white printing, there is product information for less toxic chemicals on the Silver Grain Products website http://silvergrain.com/prod/Silvergrain_Products. The following information is from Silvergrain’s website:
“What is Silvergrain?
Silvergrain is a brand for high-quality, low-toxicity photographic chemical products.
High quality—Our products are at least as good as other comparable products in terms of image quality. Silvergrain products are tested not only in chemistry labs, but also in actual production darkrooms, in the hands of demanding fine art photographers.
Low toxicity—Our products use fewer and less of the harmful chemicals, and use more harmless chemicals that work well. It is designed for demanding fine art photographers, pro labs, photo educators and students.
- It is safer to use than competitors:
- It is least toxic to the human user when the chemical accidentally comes in contact with the skin.(+)
- It is least damaging to the environment when the chemical is accidentally discharged. (*)
- It is designed to minimize chemical waste, water consumption, processing time, etc., for maximum convenience as well as minimum damage to the earth.
- You can stop worrying about toxicity and focus on the creative aspects, even in your temporary darkroom in your laundry room!
(+)Enjoy the extra safety margin from Silvergrain products while using the same darkroom safety precaution. (*)We recommend you check proper disposal options, and we provide that information as well.
How “green” is Silvergrain?
Silvergrain products are free of:
- known carcinogens and mutagens
- Metol, hydroquinone, borates and phosphates
- non-biodegradable organic compounds: EDTA and DTPA
- acetic acid, perfume and dye
(See MSDS.) These compounds are very commonly used in darkroom chemicals from other companies, but not in ours.
At Silvergrain we consider packaging materials and other factors to maximize product freshness, reduce waste, and encourage greenest darkroom life.”
The website has lots of information on various less toxic chemicals, as well as darkroom tips and purchasing information. Orders can be placed through various online stores. Silvergrain products are also available at B&H in New York City.